“There’s no love lost between these two fighters”, so goes the age-old cliché, but after the acrimony of the initial fight, this statement really does ring true.

We thought it might happen, and it has. The much-anticipated fight between Amir Khan and Lamont Peterson has been called off, after their first bout was marred by controversy back in December. Peterson tested positive for banned substance synthetic testosterone in random tests agreed to by both parties back in March. A subsequent test in last month saw the IBF Light Welterweight champion give a negative sample, however the ban has still been upheld, denying the boxing world a fight it was dying to see.

It is fair to say that Khan is far from happy with this chain of events. The Bolton-born boxer, on his Twitter account, said yesterday: “”The fight is off! Sorry everyone the only person to blame is @kingpete26.” Putting it somewhat less succinctly, a statement on the promotions website of the fight’s organisers read as follows: “A failed pre-fight drug test administered by the Voluntary Anti-Doping Association (VADA), coupled with the Nevada State Athletic Commission’s (NSAC) legal inability to hold a formal hearing on the matter of licensing Lamont Peterson for his Saturday, May 19 rematch against Amir Khan until Tuesday, May 15, has forced the cancellation of the event.”

Peterson’s camp are hopeful that by submitting medical records for their fighter “reflecting the facts in support of Lamont’s good faith intentions”, they might be able to secure the necessary licence to allow the match to go ahead in Nevada. It is clear that neither side is entirely content with simply “laying to rest” the obvious acrimony between the two men, after Khan appealed the loss of his title on points in Peterson’s home city of Washington D.C.

Following the initial match-up, Richard Schaefer, CEO of Golden Boy Promotions, who represents the British boxer, said of Khan’s complaints: “There is clearly some smoke in relation to the scorecards. Where there’s smoke, there’s fire.” Along with submitting his appeal to the relevant boxing authorities in the aftermath of December 19’s events, Khan’s camp also offered Peterson a seven-figure fee in order to bring about a rematch.

With many British fans hoping to have been able to support Khan in Las Vegas on May 19, and having booked flights and hotels in order to do so, any sympathy for promoters, if there were any, naturally falls by the wayside. However, the real loser here is the sport itself. Khan, following his initial tweet, affirmed that he is looking for an opponent to fight on 30 June instead. There is a chance that he could win back his titles in an open title bout, with Peterson likely to have those which he “won” removed, the fight annulled and Khan’s “defeat” erased from his record.

Back to Boxing

Follow The Armchair Pundits on Twitter (@armchairpundit2) or “like” our Facebook page for new articles and exclusive content.

Advertisements